Search For Something

Monday, January 23, 2012

Why I Haven't Been Blogging Here

They say Charles Dickens got paid by the word.  If that's true, it's incredible that his writing still turned out so well.

I got a job as a blogger-- not here, but on a health business website.  It pays 2.5 cents per word. 

It's not the kind of writing that I wish I was doing, but I'm happy for the job.  I am staying home with my baby and while he sleeps, I can make a little more grocery money, gas money, paying-for-shoes-and-haircuts-money.

Someday, I hope to write beautiful things.  When I have a moment, I read poems and essays from my Norton Anthology of Literature or my yard sale copies of short stories.  I underline words that hit me, phrases that ring my bell, and I write notes in the margins, even though I might never see that page again. 

The fact is that I am in love with words.  Not any old words, but great metaphors, beautiful sounding musical poetry, nail-on-the-head-hitting similes, and sparkling imagery.  Words without a sarcastic edge.  Words that, like puddles, reflect life in true and interesting ways.  I could read writing like that all day.

So, I'll let you know when I write some!  Until then, I'm blogging about health at 2.5 cents a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment